Tuesday, June 14, 2011

21 days of writing

There's plenty of reference to research that shows it takes 21 days to form a new habit, or lose an unwanted one. So I figure it's worth applying this idea to writing.

I know I'm not alone in struggling to find time to write fiction around all the other things that go on in your life - work, family, friends, pets, gardening, exercise, cleaning, etc, etc. Because I write for a living, I've used that as an excuse that it's even harder for me to commit to my fiction projects.

So, starting 13 June, I work on the WIP I got all inspired about last week for one hour a day. Doesn't matter if I have to split that hour up, whether it's completed in the morning or at night. I just have to do it. Every day. For 21 days.

Sounds simple, huh?

Oh, and I'm also doing 21 days of yoga practice too. Nothing major, starting with 15 minutes every day of the sun salute routine we learnt at class last year.

I can do it. I want to do it. I am doing it!

There are numerous interesting posts online to read on the whole habit-forming concept. Here are some that appealed to me:


http://www.iamthankful.com/practices-and-tools/the-concept-of-deliberate-attraction#more-207
Do you really know what you want? The law of attraction really works when we are clear about our intentions. If we merely wish for something to happen, it won’t. You have to be able to feel it, smell it, see it… 

http://www.kalavati.org/change-of-habit.html
According to yoga teachings , it takes:
    40 days to change a bad habit into a positive one;90 days confirms the new habit in you; 120 days allows the new habit to become who you are; 1,000 days ensures you have mastered the habit.
An online tool to help you form your desired new habits.

What would you like to change about your life - writing or otherwise - where the 21 days of practice concept could help you?

1 comment:

  1. Great information, Cate. I'm working on the exercise habit at the moment (I'd rather be writing, or blogging!) and it isn't easy. I'm up to day four.

    ReplyDelete